International #hellomynameis Day ~ 23rd July
Several years ago we began to notice our contacts in the NHS were using a new signature line...
Since the first tweet was sent by Dr. Kate Granger (MBE) on 31st August 2013, #hellomynameis has made over 1.8 billion impressions with an average of 6 tweets an hour.
Kate was diagnosed with a rare aggressive terminal cancer in 2011 at the age of 29. During a spell in hospital with post operative sepsis, Kate noticed that many staff did not introduce themselves to her before delivering her care and realised the significant difference it made to her when they did. After complaining about this to her husband, Chris, he told her 'to stop whinging and do something about it'. And so she did – they both did!
Kate decided to use her experiences as a patient, saying "In my mind #hellomynameis is the first rung on the ladder to providing truly person-centred, compassionate care." and so the International movement was born.
Kate sadly passed away 23rd July 2016, on the day of her and Chris' wedding anniversary. This date has now become a chance to both celebrate Kate's life, spread her message further and to raise the profile of the campaign across the world. Kate's husband and co-founder Chris now concentrates on the campaign and speaks to health professionals all over the world.
HOW YOU CAN BECOME INVOLVED
More information can be found at https://hellomynameis.org.uk
- 3.20pm – hold a minutes silence or round of applause – this is the time of Kates passing and also the time we said our vows to each other in 2005.
- Charity cake sale (Kate loved baking and raising money for charity)
- Name badges/new lanyards/card holders for all staff members with the logo on
- #hellomynameis event on the day with pictures and tweeting and merchandise on sale – https://hellomynameis.org.uk/resources/
- Encourage people to buy Kate’s books – https://hellomynameis.org.uk/books/
- Stop and think about how you can make a difference
- Find out what else is going on locally in your area that you can integrate
- all ideas welcome….
- Feel free to use this logo aswell as the usual #hellomynameis artwork – oh and please share your pictures….
- Donate to our charities – https://hellomynameis.org.uk/donate-here
- Please use #hellomynameis and @pointonchris on all tweets